Saturday 12 October 2019

Salamon 4Trails, Austria July 2019

(Seefeld to Leutasch - 24.5km, 1600m 3hr 48)
 4Trails, day 1. Bright sunshine, warm. Two massive lumps in 25km ( ok, one massive, the second merely large but impact significant due to the first in legs) meant that it mostly felt like a hike rather than a running race.... my own lack of descending skills partially to blame for that! A bit more technical than the Quantocks. And maybe... I DO need some of those damn walking stick For now I'm just inside top 10, got to stand on a podium for the Fv40+ class, and more importantly, first Carritt.

 (Leutasch to Weildermeiming – 24.2km, 1250m, 3hr35)
 Day 2 on the trail started with a Yelp of pain as I discovered that I have broken all my legs and arse cheeks. The run today started with a lovely gentle climb, a good warm up, for some reason the uphill parts were the least painful...then one helluva hill which we had to scramble over. Lotte and I were pretty close all day (somehow, she'd retained the use of her legs) until the descent off the mountain, which I took at the speed of a geriatric without walking sticks.... Lotte took full advantage on the final descent into the finish, placing 9th in our catagory woman and 6 minutes ahead of me. So its 1 all. Aggregate times place her ahead by 4 minutes still. So its ON tomorrow for day 3.... Can someone please make sure that my legs get the memo...and wheel me to somewhere that serves steak!



 (Weildermeiming to Nassereth – 21.6km, 1270m, 3h14)
 Saloman 4 trails, day 3. 75% done ...and 100% broken!! A slightly shortened course today, due to forecast thunderstorms they decided that less time on a ridge at +2000m would be better, so it was a simple up n down jobbie. The ups, weirdly were not a problem. Any decline however was. (You know that post marathon/ironman can't walk down stairs/ lower yourself onto the toilet seat feeling? Double it and then try to run off the top of a mountain.... ) Yes, my legs may actuallg be broken. Yes, I may be seriously considering the purchase of some special wanking poles. Yes, I might be getting my ass handed to me by my weedy little sister ( and the majority if the rest of the Master Women) and Yes, I've become an Aid Station Lingerer.... ....but its a very interesting type of fun and the scenery is ok and the company not too terrible, I suppose . My comeback is coming tomorrow Lotte Carritt. Be ready.


 (Nassereith to Imst – 25km, 1200m, 3h13)
 Well, that's that done....day 4 and, following a decent sized steak, a decent amount of merlot and a go on Lotte Carritt's quad squeezer... I actully felt almost OK for the start of this one...and ready to make my Big Comback from the back of the pack to, well..so where near the middle. No matter that it was pissing down...much of the route was through forests, with only a relatively small climb, and even in the wet not such a terrifying decent- so, mostly runnable. In fact, on fresh legs this route would have been a blast. As it was, I held a good position to the top if the first pass, then as expected The Field ran through me on the wet n rooty way down. But no sign of The Loat. Maintaining a lead on her motivated me somewhat, and it was just a case of steady progress, run all the hills (knowing that she wont) no stopping for photos, and try to ignore my quad complaints on the down hills. We didn't see each other all day, and lucky for me I crossed the line before she'd had the chance to catch me today. So we are 2 all, and I'm happy enough with thaf. Very proud of Lotte Carritt for making the top 10 in the overall Master Woman competition. I'll accept 13th as it's been a painful but interesting experience, i have learned to pee standing up, accepted that there might be more to this poles thing than unnecessary and annoying accessories, that even if you think you are shit-hot, perhaps you maybe shouldn't run flat out on day 1 of a 4 day event ( even if there is air freshener to be won), drunk a lot of beer and spent 4 days looking at some very nicely toned legs...... holidays are wikid!

No comments:

Blog Archive